Enniscorthy win on the road to get back on track

Sundays Well 21

Enniscorthy RFC 26

Enniscorthy got back to winning ways down in Cork last Saturday. The return from injury of Timmy Morrissey and Ivan Jacob was a welcome boost. The game was played on the 4G pitch in Independent Park under near gale conditions. Luckily there was no rain. Enniscorthy played against the elements in the first half.

With plenty of possession early on Sundays Well scored in the right corner inside 10 mins. Their out-half Billy Pope kicked a wonderful conversion from the sideline. It took a while for Enniscorthy to establish a foothold into the game but when they did they were rewarded with a try off the base of the scrum by No 8 Timmy Morrissey. The conversion into the wind was impossible.

Five minutes later a loose kick was blocked down by flanker Conor O’ Brien and he ran in from 40 metres to regain the lead for The Well. Enniscorthy had plenty of more chances in the first half but could not score. Wing Billy Wickham touched down over the line but try was not awarded due to a double movement. Score at half time was 14 – 5 in favour of the hosts.

Enniscorthy had a strong wind in their backs after the interval. It took them a while to score as The Well soaked up a lot of pressure. Eventually scrum-half Arthur Dunne released Billy Wickham who found Ivan Jacob and he raced in from 15 metres. Ben Kidd converted. Minutes later Jacob intercepted a wide pass and ran in under the posts, Kidd again converted. Enniscorthy were now well on top. They dominated the scrums but line ball was scarce due to the wind.

The introduction of Tom Ryan to the pack added the impetus needed and this eventually paid off with an excellent try from hooker Davy Murphy. Billy Wickham made great ground down the left and when he broke inside he offloaded to Murphy who charged in from 5 metres for the bonus point try. Kidd conversion brought them 12 points ahead. Enniscorthy should have pressed on from there but they didn’t. Centre Hughie O’ Neill was harshly yellow carded for not releasing and shortly after they conceded a soft try when Sunday’s Well hooker ran in from 30 metres to reduce the margin to 5 points.

Enniscorthy were down to 13 men when Arthur Dunne was yellow carded with 7 mins to go for a tip tackle. Suddenly the Well were back in the game but Enniscorthy showed a lot of character and controlled the ball to finish out the game.

With 5 games to go in the league, Enniscorthy are well clear of the third-placed team

Enniscorthy’s next game in the league is at home to Omagh on Saturday week 14th March in Alcast park at 2.30pm.

Angelo Todisco, Davy Murphy, Paddy Waters, Tomas Stamp, Liam Stamp, Nick Doyle, Brian Bolger, Timmy Morrissey, Arthue Dunne, Ben Kidd, Billy Wickham, Ivan Poole, Hugh O’ Neill, Ivan Jacob, Richard Dunne.

Subs: Tom Ryan (N Doyle 50 mins), Niall Parker (R Dunne 60 mins), Stephen Hadley (L Stamp 65 mins), Ryan Cahill and James Doyle.

Be the first to comment on "Enniscorthy win on the road to get back on track"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.