Enniscorthy extend their lead

Enniscorthy RFC 34

Bangor 7

Enniscorthy extended their lead at the top of Division 2C with a comprehensive display at Alcast Park on the Ross Road last Saturday.

This victory was achieved despite some serious setbacks early in the game with the loss through injury of both winger David O’ Dwyer and prop MJ Doyle. Both players were stretchered off in the first 10 minutes. This 5 try win extends their lead at the top to 3 points from nearest rivals Skerries as they go into their Christmas break.

Enniscorthy’s first try came after only 3 minutes when wing David O’ Dwyer finished off a great back’s move to touch down near the posts. Full-back Ben Kidd converted.

Bangor coming off a good win last week immediately responded with a try of their own when their No 8 Mike Weir broke through the middle and passed out half Nathan Graham who ran in from 25 metres. Graham converted to level matters.

Minutes later Enniscorthy mounted another attack and unfortunately, David O’ Dwyer received a nasty ankle injury as he was tackled just as he kicked into space. The Wexford men continued to press and after a series phases No 8 Nick Doyle squeezed over in the left corner. Three minutes later it was a sad sight to see his brother MJ stretchered off with a serious shin injury. His replacement the experienced Angelo Todisco didn’t weaken the side and he scored off a rolling maul 10 minutes later. Kidd converted. Enniscorthy secured the bonus point with their fourth try on the half-hour. This was the result of the pack owning the ball for long spells, Lock Tomas Stamp got the touchdown with Kidd adding the conversion.

They went in at half time leading 26-7. After the interval, the pack continued to over-power the Northerners with big displays from Locks Tomas Stamp and Tom Ryan. Their back row of Brian Bolger, Nick Doyle, and Timmy Morrissey completely dismantled the Bangor challenge. They increased their lead after 50 minutes when No 8 Timmy Morrissey broke off the back of a ruck and made serious ground before passing to wing Richard Dunne who raced in from 25 metres to score in the right corner. On the hour Ben Kidd kicked a penalty to complete the scoring.

Enniscorthy move 3 points clear at the halfway mark in the league

Manager David Wrafter said afterwards “We are delighted with the win but it has come at a cost. The injury to David (O’ Dwyer) seems to be an ankle break. MJ suffered a shin break and was in a lot of pain. Both are gone by ambulance to Waterford Hospital. Both the lads will be a huge loss to the squad. We just hope they recover fully. At the start of the season, our goal was a top 4 finish to make the playoffs. We may have to revise this goal upwards in the new year.”

MJ Doyle, Davy Murphy, Paddy Waters, Tomas Stamp, Tom Ryan (Capt), Nick Doyle, Brian Bolger, Timmy Morrissey, Arthur Dunne, Ivan Poole, David O’ Dwyer, Hugh O’ Neill, Daniel Pim, Richard Dunne, Ben Kidd.

Subs: Angelo Todisco (MJ Doyle 10 mins), Cian Wickham (D O’ Dwyer 7 mins), Liam Stamp (T Stamp 65 mins), Joe Carley (T Morrissey 65 mins), Andrew Redmond (P Waters 70 mins).

Be the first to comment on "Enniscorthy extend their lead"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.