Public concerns for revised plan for Rosslare?

The 25-room Hotel Rosslare which was taken off the property market last month with a price tag of €500,000 and has been part of the harbour community for over a century, re-opened with music and celebration under new management on Friday night.
However, alarm bells started ringing in the community when Saturday morning breakfast were served and many believe that there is a serious involvement by the Department of Justice.
The matter has become the subject of local and national media attention and WexfordToday.com received many calls regarding events there on Saturday morning and there has been hundreds of comments on social media.
However, the seriousness of the situation locally escalated tonight when Cllr. Ger Carthy announced details of a public meeting for this Tuesday at 7.30 pm in the Railway Social Club, Rosslare Harbour.
Cllr Carthy told WexfordToday.com that the purpose of the public meeting is “to discuss developments over the weekend concerning the use of a local hotel upon its re-opening.”
Cllr. Carthy, in conjunction with Wexford County Council, is currently seeking an update on the current situation from the Department of Justice and will update those present with any information he may have at the time.
Wexford’s Dail Eireann members will also be asked to explain what they knew about unfolding matters and why they kept information from the local community.
The events are a reflection on the situation in November 2000 when the Department of Justice has agreed not to use as an accommodation centre for asylum-seekers a hotel in Rosslare Harbour that was being picketed by locals.
That was the old Devereux Hotel site which was to be used as an assessment centre only, with no overnight stays by asylum-seekers, and was be put back on the market within 18 months.
WexfordToday.com has been informed that the old Devereux Hotel site is under consideration as part of the current plans, however, we have been unable to verify this information.
Back in 2000, the agreement was announced by the Wexford-based Minister of State, Hugh Byrne T.D., who was involved in protracted negotiations between protesters and the Directorate for Asylum Support Services.
The 25-bedroom hotel was purchased by the State for nearly £2 million at the end of March, with the intention that it would be used as a “reception centre” for up to 60 asylum-seekers at a time. They would remain there for up to two weeks before dispersal to accommodation centres.
Locals expressed outrage at the proposal at public meetings in early April and began a daily 24-hour picket.
In conclusion, the then Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform, John O’Donoghue, told the Dail that, because of the protest, it had not been possible to bring the hotel into use.

Be the first to comment on "Public concerns for revised plan for Rosslare?"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*